Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Hamburger Mary's- Never EVER again!

Hamburger Mary's
1337-14TH Street N.W.
Tel (202) 232.7010

This restaurant was one of the first businesses to open in the revitalization of 14th ST. I have heard a lot about the burgers in this place and how gay friendly it was. So, I decided to go with a gay friend of mine. First off, this place is actually a garage; yes you read right, a garage. In the summer the garage door is opened up and it gives you an immediate outdoorsy feeling.
The restaurant looks like out of a bad 80s movies. Some horrid bright 80s colors that make the place look very non-clean. Upon entering the place was quite smoky, mainly due to the fact that the bar is up toward the entrance. The sitting area of the first floor consists of approximately of 4-6 booths and 2-3 tables, there is also an upstairs which unfortunately I did not visit. An eclectic array of 50's /80s posters sporadically adorn the walls. We were first sat at a regular table, but once our waitress came, she gave us the option to move to a booth. The waitress got our order and did not make any small talk whatsoever, and I am guessing there was no daily special since we were not given one. She took our drinks and food order. She reappeared quickly with our drinks which were fresh and properly carbonated. The artichoke dip was a bit too hot to be served, yet. In fact I believe I still might have lesions due to it. At first it was a bit watery, but as it cooled of it became thicker and it was quite delicious. Nothing to rave about, lets say if you have 5 minutes and the ingredients you can make this yourself. The tortillas chips served along were fresh and topped with nice shavings of Parmiggiano. The menu consists mostly of Hamburgers, with rather cute names such as the Blue boy burger. I myself had the Hawaiian burger witch is supposed to come with Teriyaki sauce. My friend had the mushroom burger.
My burger was medium done yet insipid and even thou it had a great appearance, it lacked of Teriyaki sauce and therefore flavor. The bun was actually fresh and taste great. The spicy fries were a bit soggy and I barely touched them. My friend burger with was meant to be well done was fairly pink, I would say it was a medium rare. She ate it anyway and she seemed ok with her food. She was also starving. The waitress showed up again with refills but did not ask if our order was ok or anything.
During our meal we were constantly bothered by these fruit flies that just not go away. We wondered where they came from and even one of them made it into the dip.
Our bill came to just about $30 w/out tip in a lovely red stiletto heel shoe.
My overall rating= a mere 2 and that is because the drinks were alright you can't mess up soda you know) I truly do not think I will be making an appearance back to this place in my life time or the next. This is the place to use when you are dumping your date.


No comments: