Thursday, January 27, 2005

Mamma Lucia- Italian style pizza

Bethesda
4916 Elm Street
Bethesda, MD 20814
301.907.3399


Check out their web site for their multiple locations
http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/


Mamma Lucia is definitively my favorite place to go have a home style (Italian style) pizza. None of the yucky too thick crust stuff, and none of over done toppings that leak oil from sid
This pizza is almost perfect. Yes, I said almost, because depending on the day, and who makes it, the pizza can go from 95% perfection to WOW.
I am picky when it comes to pizza. Growing up in Italy, definitive trained my palate to the original stuff.
I must say I can eat Pizza Hut if I am hungry, and I do like it. But if I want something special Mamma Lucia is the place to go. My roomie who is half Italian and grew up in the New York City area and whose favorite food is a well made pizza, Loves this place. After relocating from the NYC area she and I went on a quest on finding great pizza, one day hungry out of our minds we ate at a stand at a home Expo. It was glorious and since that day we have been hooked.
I must say I have visited all the stores of Mamma Lucia, and never incurring a bad experience. The stores in suburbs of Maryland tend to be a bit nicer in the decor and the food always formidable. Pizza is not just their only specialty, is my number one dish I prefer here, but I have tried their pasta and meat dishes and they are always delicious.
My frequent visit stores are the Bethesda Elm St location, which about a year ago expanded. Their pizza is definitively the best ones of all stores. For some reason is just thin enough and has the perfect amount of toppings. Delicious! This location has a large bar area with a vast choice of liquor. The area is equipped with nice big plasma TVs to watch the game at. During cool summer days, outside sitting is also offered.
The College Park location, my other frequent visited location, offers delicious pizza and is definitive larger than the Bethesda location. It is a 2 minute drive from Ikea, so perfect for those shopping days. Unfortunately they carry 2 types of wine, a red Luna Merlot and a white Luna Chardonnay. Nothing fancy but both wines are very adaptable to the Italian cuisine.
During lunch time the Bethesda and College park location are waiter less, so its a come in, order, sit chit chat and peel your eye for when the food comes out, so that you can go pick it up. In the evening this changes and the white cloth comes out at full force with an always friendly servers.
Overall rating= 9.25 (I wished they carry more wine choices at my favorite locations.) This is the place to take your family for a low key evening.

No comments: