Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Rosa Mexicano ......More Margarita??

575 Seventh St. NW,
Washington, DC 20004
Phone: 202-783-5522


The decour of Rosa Mexicano it's very unique, from the ceiling high, 10 feet long wall waterfall, that reflects the thousands cobalt blue tiles, to the elevated water pond in the main dining area. This place offers great evening views to the window seat (and yes there are many.) In fact it offers an open feeling by the sustantial use of 2 story sized windows that face the MCI center. If you love people watching, you should go on a MCI event night. You will be able to see limos and fans of all sort out on the street having a grand old time.
If you are going with a large party, you really need to make your reservations way in advance. We were 2 and I made my reservations 2 weeks ahead of time, there were only 2 time slots left.
The drinks are fabulous, if you like them fruity margaritas this is the place to go. But do keep in mind, they might be fruity yet quite potent. I have had their sangria ($28 per garafe) in the past and it was ok, but being a big sangria person I really was not impressed this time, in fact I can make a far better sangria with my mother's family recipe. I just thought it was too diluted and it was just Sangria wine on some fruit, not maceration to it, therefore lacked that nice fruit favour. Now, heir home made guacamole ($12)is a MUST, the waiter comes and makes it in front of you in a cute lava stone, he mashed the ingrdiends to your liking, and topped with cilantro. Its served with soft tortillas, witch are just quite ordinary and nice freshly made tortilla chips, a better choise. A couple of fairly spicy sauces are also brought out, one is green and the dark red one, the firey one is strong yet sweet.
We indulged in chicken flautas, wich were crunchy and filled with succulent meats.
For main dish we ordered Tablones with is boneless space ribs. These melt in your mouth like butter, they come undue on your fork without the need to use a knife.
Their portions are quite huge, so my companion and I shared the main entree, wich was accompanied by a bowl of delicious refried beans and a bowl of a bit insipid rice.
We could not stop there, we ordered the Mexican cheesecake to share, wich is doughtnut shaped and the center is filled with a delighful caramel sauce. The cheesecake per se had a rather interesting taste, sorta mascarponey yet plasticky. The cappucino was delightful, so I was told, I did notice a nice foam. Our bill was $108 with tax and tip.
The service was excellent even though he did dissapear at the begining to make the sangria. I got to practice my spanish and to teach my companion a few words.
My overall rating= 8
Definitively this a stylish place to take an out of towner, or a birthday celebration, definitively not the place for a hot date, since it can get kinda roudy, but I do think they need mariachis. 8)


No comments: