Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Vintage Tavern

1900 Governors Pointe Dr
Suffolk, VA 23436

(757) 238-8808
www.vintagetavernvirginia.com

I love good food, I should say I love outstanding food. While travelling down to VA Beach this summer I was intrigued to hear Virginia Tavern was voted one of the top 50 restaurants in the country...so I made it my quest to go visit.
Vintage tavern is nested in a nicely secluded neighborhood of Suffolk, southern Virginia. Surrounded by lovely estate and small family owned foodie shops (right accross the streets on Saturdays is the fresh market). From the outside the place doesnt say much, I mean is not a hole in the hole or a warehouse, its a nice house looking like building. It blends nicely with the green surroundings of the location.
The interior is dimmly lit, and it gives a feeling of an Alp ski chalet. Lots of wood, lots of natural colors, and lovely live flowers spread throught the place. Indeed a lovely touch of southern elegance.
The service is exceptional, the manager came and checked of us possibly three times.
For starters, this people really do aim to please.
For drinks I explained to our waiter the cocktail that my companion wanted, something we had seen on the food channel and obviously not on the menu. He assured it could be made....and I assure you upon receipt of the cocktail, they had done a perfect job into bringing my recipe to life. I on the other hand ordered a martini with Hendricks gin, served with bacon stuffed olives (stuffed at home...perfect).
The martini had a little of ice floaties, I know I am picky, but something I ought to mention that even with the floaties, the martini was EXCELLENT!!
We ordered the Southern sampler....a delicious array of homemade marmelade...just like my mom use to make (even though she is not from the south) home made buscuits, home made deviled eggs...local sausage and local Virginia ham, from a neighboring family's farm. I love how everything is home made, everything simple and everything just a dance to my taste budds.
For entrees I had a massive Bison filet. Cooked to perfection!! I like things rare, well it was not mooing, but it was surely cooked with an attractive rareness to the middle. My entree was definitively from the south, but I tell you this, I thought I had had the best piece of meat ever in England, but this one battle that place head to head. Bison sometimes tends to be a gamey in flavored...well this one did not have a slight hint of gameyness..
My companion, a true southerner from the heart of Missisipi (accent and all, you all)had a southern Jambalaya sorta dish...lovely humongous praws delightfully condimented on a bed of savory rice. She was extremely pleased with her choice.
Additionally she was very impressed with the truly authentic corn bread (wich I learned is supposed to be non sweet) and with the onion bread pudding.
Overall this place is a delight.
Truly one of a kind.
If you like good food a trip to Vintage Tavern is definitively worth it.

No comments: